Sunday, November 27, 2011

Apple Pie

Deep-dish, Crumb-topped Apple Pie that is!

Who did you spend Thanksgiving with? We typically aren't blessed to be with family on Thanksgiving, so we share the day with someone else in the same situation. This year we enjoyed the day with our friends, Brad and Martha Cochran. They have a teenage son at home who was more than happy to take the picture! - and two daughters and a son-in-law that weren't able to be home either.


It was a relaxing day; a wonderful meal, shared friendship, then back home to begin pulling out Christmas tubs and decorating.

I'm not a huge pumpkin pie fan - but I dearly love my apple pie! I took the recipe that my mother-in-law had used for years and tweeked it a bit. Because I'm thankful for others who share their fabulous recipes with me - I'm sharing this one with you! Look at that pie! The pictures don't do it justice - and I made REAL whipped topping for it. Nothing better my friends!
Apple Pie
6 cups apples ~ Choose 2-3 varieties from the following: *Golden Delicious
Granny Smith, Macintosh, Jonathan, or JonaGold
1 1/2 c. sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
4 Tbs. quick Tapioca
1 Tbs. corn starch

Peel and core your apples and cut into slices, placing them in a large bowl. Add all other ingredients and mix well.

Double-crust pastry recipe

2 c. flour
1 tsp. salt
2/3 c. shortening
5-7 Tbs. cold (even ice) wter

Mix flour and salt together in a deep bowl. Cut in shortening until crumbly. Add water a tablespoon at a time until moistened...don't over mix. Roll out half and put in a large, deep dish pie plate. Pour apple mixture into prepared crust. Roll out other half of pastry and place on top of apples. Seal the edges, then cut several 'vent' holes in top of crust. Top with crumb topping.

Crumb Topping
1/2 - 3/4 c. flour
1/2 - 3/4 c. sugar
4-6 Tbs. butter (cold, but not HARD)
1 tsp. cinnamon
Combine flour, sugar and butter. Cut in butter till crumbly. Spread over top of pie. (I like LOTS of crumb topping so I use the greater measurements. If you just want a little - use the lesser measurements.)

Bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes...check at 30 minutes. If apples in the middle aren't soft - cook for the additional 15 minutes.

*While working at Utah State University eons ago - one of the professors in our department, Alvin Hamson, told me the secret of using the different kinds of apples. They are all a little different in sweetness vs. tartness. The combination is wonderful.

No comments: