Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Christmas Preparations

Christmas! Just saying the word brings with it so many feelings, thoughts and desires! I want to do things for other people - I feel so grateful for our blessings - I'm thankful for my Savior Jesus Christ; His birth, His sacrifice and His resurrection. I desire to be like Him. I want to have our family around us. I enjoy the sweet feelings of peace and comfort that exist within the walls of our home. Christmas!

This Christmas Season so far has been a bit of a blur. Right after Thanksgiving my hubby had some major back surgery. He has healed incredibly fast and well - a tender mercy from a loving Father in Heaven! But there was still stress and worry and some sleepless nights and I'm still working almost full-time. All of those things I traditionally do the first couple weeks of December didn't happen. We did get the tree up and decorations in place Thanksgiving weekend - everything else was put on hold. This week I started baking. And sewing. And making lists ~ lots of lists! And slowly crossing things off of my lists. And making more lists! :) I know you know what I mean!

So - here are the cookies I made last weekend. Gingerbread. Fabulous, soft, yummy gingerbread cookies. I love how the kitchen smells when I make these cookies. I copied the snowmen that were featured on Bakerella's site a couple of weeks ago. It's very obvious that she is a professional.... hmmmm - just don't look too close!


And this - the directions said: "15 minute table runner." I was skeptical. It actually took - from beginning to end - 25-30 minutes. Not bad though! It wasn't the fabric choice I really wanted, but when you procrastinate sewing projects at Christmas-time, you get what no-one else wanted either! Oh well - This was a practice one - the ones I make this summer for next year (yea, right) will be fabulous! I had to laugh because the project I left out after Christmas last year to work on over the summer never did get done....to be perfectly clear....never got started! Oh well - there's always next year - Right?!

Gingerbread
1 c. molasses + 1 c. shortening
Put in a small saucepan and just bring to a boil. Simmer for 2 minutes - remove from heat and cool.

1 egg
1 c. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. baking soda + 1/2 c. warm water
6 c. flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. cloves
1/2 tsp. ginger

Cream egg, sugar and vanilla together. Add molasses/shortening mixture and mix till blended. Add soda water and mix well. Slowly add dry ingredients and blend until mixed well. Dough will be quite stiff. Roll 1/4" thick, cut out and place on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 375 for 8-10 minutes. Remove immediately to a cooling rack. When completely cool decorate or store in an air-tight container.

What's your favorite Christmas beverage? I think ours is slush! Recipe coming soon.
Christmas music and Christmas stories....do you have a favorite? Coming to a post soon!
Merry Christmas!

No comments: