Saturday, April 23, 2011

Strawberry Fluff n'Stuff!

So - I've been off of work for spring break for a week now - 2 days left. I had grand plans of cleaning (yea, right!), organizing (maybe just a smidge), immersing myself in journaling and studying my scriptures (I wasn't 'immersed', but I did better than normal) and exercising EVERY DAY! LOL! That's the best one yet! BUT - I did come across a new recipe to try - in all places - our HyVee Grocery ad. I made a few ingredient adjustments to make it lower in fat and as sugar-free as possible - and I have to say - it's quite yummy! Fresh strawberries between layers of strawberry goodness (almost like a mousse)and a crust of oreo cookies. I'm not sure it will forever take the place of a strawberry pie - but it will certainly keep a favored spot in my recipe file.



Do you want to make it?
Strawberry Layered Dessert
2/3 c. boiling water
2 c. Oreo cookies, finely crushed (about 20 cookies)
1/4 c. butter, melted
1 3 oz. pkg. sugar-free strawberry jello
1 8 oz. pkg. fat free or reduced fat cream cheese
1 8 oz container fat free Cool Whip
1 pound strawberries - sliced
Optional - blueberries
In a small bowl, stir boiling water into dry gelatin and mix at least 2 minutes or until completely dissolved. Cool 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
Meanwhile, mix cookie crumbs and butter; press into a 9" spring-form pan. Set aside. (I didn't want to get my spring form out - so I just used a pretty plate, you could also use a deep-dish pie plate).
In a large bowl, beat cream cheese on medium speed until creamy. Gradually add prepared gelatin mixture, beating well after each addition. Gently stir in 2 cups of whipped topping. Divide mixture in half.
Top cookie mixture with half of gelatin mixture. Layer 2 cups of sliced strawberries over gelatin mixture and top with remaining gelatin mixture (aka - fluff!). Top with remaining Cool Whip. Garnish with remaining strawberries and blueberries, if desired.
Chill to keep.

No comments: